One of the hardest steps in getting healthy is getting back in the gym. I don’t know about you, but I hate the gym. It smells like anger, ass and frustration. There is also a clear difference between clean sweat and dirty sweat and the number of people who wake up and just come on to the gym is far too many for my nose’s convenience.
Who says you have to go to the gym?
You goal today is make a list of things you like to do that burns calories and gets your heart pumping. This is a critical step, because tomorrow we bring together everything we did this week for one big happy trip down fitness road. It is going to be a memorable journey, because you are designing your own plan. You are creating something that works for you, fits your schedule and your budget. That is the most important step to getting back on track.
What most people ignore, is that every physical activity burns calories. According to the University of Quebec in Canada, men expend 120 calories during half an hour of sex and women use up 90 calories. That is just under half the amount they would burn in a 30-minute jog. For brief periods during sex, some men used more energy than they did while on the treadmill. Yes you can love your way thin. Here are other activities that burn calories.
- Pushing a cart up and down the supermarket aisles for an hour will burn 243 calories.
- You know you need to paint the house, but you’re lacking the motivation. Does it help to know that three hours of house painting will burn 1,026 calories.’
- 30 minutes of digging in your yard will burn about 315 calories, the same amount burned by 45 minutes of bicycling on flat terrain. Digging tones the muscles of your calves, thighs, arms and shoulders. If you do it vigorously enough and continue the activity for 20 minutes or more, you can raise your heart rate and strengthen your cardiovascular system.
- Washing your car works your arms and abdominals. For every 30 minutes of car washing, you’ll burn 143 calories.
- Weeding for 30 minutes burns 115 calories, the same amount you’d burn in 15 minutes of weight training. Weeding tones your thighs and buttocks. Just be careful to bend with your legs while keeping your spine straight, or you could hurt your back.
- Raking leaves for 30 minutes burns 225 calories.
Now, let’s make a list of exercises you like to do. This is a very important list, because it will be you go to guide for the next 6 weeks. Make sure it is things you like to do. I will start mine as well.
- Toning with bands or cans (cans of beans or rubber bands)
- Doing the Wobble/Slide/Tush Push
- I need to wallpaper the den
- I need to clean the laundry room
- Reorganize the pantry
- Weed the front yard
- Plant my mums
- Tai –Chi
- Something on my Wii
- Go for a walk
It also helps to have a fitness tracker. This will make the job so much easier. Fitness trackers vary, so please spend wisely. If you just want to keep track of your calories burned, you can go low end. However, if you want to keep track of sleep, water intake, meals, you may need to go up a step. Here is a link that shows you the diversity in fitness trackers. I love mine, I have a Fitbit.
Tomorrow we begin your plan.