I have fallen, but I am trying to get back up. I was the last one on board and may be the first one to hop off the Gladiator train to crazy town where Scandal docks its engine. Please do not misunderstand this recap, because I am a total fan of Shonda Rimes. If I could still breed, I would volunteer to have her little creative writing baby; she is that good at what she does. But dear Lord on High, that woman is making me tired.
If you tuned in last night to see Mrs. Smith Goes to Washington, you can understand my feelings. By the end of the episode I was fit to be tied, tired and felt as if I needed therapy. Here’s the skinny: A mom from the Midwest hires Pope & Associates to help her get some answers on her son’s death. It was very suspicious, because she wrote Olivia a check for the exact dollar amount she had in her savings account. The dear sweet mom then heads over to her congressman’s office with a bomb strapped to her chest. She wants some answers, “I know in my heart my son wasn’t a terrorist!”
She is right, he wasn’t. According to the President, he wasn’t either, but for the safety of his fellow Americans, this woman’s son was labeled as a traitor. They are still holding his body and she can’t even bury her child. I am frowning at this point. She can never know the truth. His file was redacted. Here is where the crazy train picks up speed.
Olivia Pope, played by Carrie Washington, heads over to the Congressman’s office and climbs right in the middle of the chaos. She finds out the President is spearheading, “kill the crazy lady with the bomb” campaign, and Ms. Pope makes herself the go between. She insinuates her people behind the FBI lines, she becomes the spokesperson for Angry Mom of the year, and in the end, nothing really changes. The Mom is led to believe her son was a terrorist. She still was not able to bring his body home, and she still blew herself the F*ck up! Wait, grab the Oh Sh*t bar on your screen, because the crazy train is building momentum to get up the next two inclines.
- The wacko nut job, Huck, which works for her and was trained by Ms. Pope’s father to be a killer for the government, is having some issues. Huck learns that Eli Pope, Olivia’s daddy, is still pulling his strings.
- The guy Olivia had a tryst with, Jake Ballard, who was also trained by her father, was returned to Olivia, dirty, bruised and still in love with her. Eli Pope is still pulling his strings too.
- Olivia, in this episode, yells at, and hangs up on the President at least three times, and in the end, courtesy of his wife, he realizes that Olivia is pulling his strings. FLOTUS, or Millie the Monster, as many refer to her, is happy Olivia wasn’t killed, because she can still use her husband’s mistress as power to also pull his strings.
- Eli Pope is sitting in his car, calling his daughter Olivia, for whatever reason, and is unable to reach her, which frustrates him. He is very frustrated because he is unable to control his little girl, who is now sitting on the couch with Jake Ballard, realizing her daddy is pulling her strings.
I feel like the damned puppet here.
That dang gone Shonda Rimes has me on a yoke and is pulling my strings, yanking my cord, and making me bob up and down like a marionette. It is so crazy, twisty, good, it is driving me bonkers! I want off this ride! Wait, can I get the T-shirt first?
- ConStar Watches Scandal “Mrs. Smith Goes to Washington” (constarstudiestv.wordpress.com)
- TV Recap: Scandal, ‘Mrs. Smith Goes to Washington’ (pop-break.com)
- Scandal (diandrafehr.wordpress.com)
- ‘Scandal’ Recap: Olivia’s New Case Blows Up In Her Face (hollywoodlife.com)